Countrys Edge Persians - Selling PKD Positive Kittens

I feel the need to make everyone aware of a situation I was recently involved in. I purchased a kitten from Val Brink of Country’s Edge Persians of NW Iowa, where she guaranteed me that the silver Persian kittens that I was interested in buying were PKD negative.

I was purchasing these kittens for my grandchildren who have been begging for kittens for some time now. I started my search for the perfect kittens for my grandbabies. After about 2 weeks of searching, I came across Val Brink’s Facebook page one night. I saw that there were people saying they had got the kittens from Val and could not be happier with them. I watched the videos on her Facebook and looked at her pictures before contacting her about purchasing. I called her the following day asking countless questions about her kittens. The last question I asked her was if her kittens were PKD negative, as I had read that PKD was common in Persians. She said her kittens were not tested but that her adults were “clean”. I continued the process of adopting 2 of her silver kittens. The kittens were $700 each. I did not have the money, so I withdrew it from my savings account.

When I picked the 2 kittens up they were even more beautiful that in the pictures. I was excited to surprise my grandchildren with them. My grandchildren were ecstatic and loved them they moment they seen them! I could not be happier.

At 16 weeks of age, one of them was acting strange and my daughter asked if I could take him to the vet for her. I took him and found out that he had a kidney infection. They started him on an antibiotic. At 18 weeks old the second kitten had the same symptoms, so I took him to the vet and found out the second kitten had a kidney infection, as well. My vet asked if these kittens were bought from a PKD negative cattery. I told her the breeder told me all of her cats were clean, but she did not test the kittens. The vet suggested we scan both the kittens for PKD. I thought it was silly since Val claimed her parents were all clean. I am thankful, yet heartbroken that I did. We found both kittens were PKD positive. I asked if there was anything that we could for these sweet babies, especially since they were both so young. The vet said their lives would not be long and would be full of pain. My grandchildren were heartbroken, as they had gotten so attached to them.

I think that it is interesting that Val brags about being in business for 50 years but does not brag about being PKD negative. Think of how many kittens she has brought into this world that are PKD positive. It is sickening and heartbreaking to say the least.

Val Brinks did not provide any legal documentation proving that these kittens actually did come from her. There was no health certificate with her name on it or anything that identified these kittens were hers, such as; health certificate, business card, registration papers, etc. My vet told me that when you are breeding for profit it is against the law to not have a health check by a licensed veterinarian. There were only 2 hand written papers with dates that these kittens supposedly got wormers/vaccinations. There was no licensed veterinarian signing any of these papers. Therefore, there is no licensed veterinarian supporting Val Brinks.

Val Brink

Country’s Edge Persians

Sioux Center, IA

(712) 441-4533

calmore@hotmail.com

www.countrysedgepersians.weebly.com

Thank you for your time in reading this. I hope I have helped someone else from making the same mistake that I did by dealing with Val Brinks from Country Edge Persians.

Product or Service Mentioned: Countrys Edge Persians Persian Cat.

Reason of review: Bad quality.